Hide

hide
Hide

COLLATON ST MARY

Kelly's Directory Devonshire 1935

Transcribed by Deborah Carmichael

Collaton St. Mary is a hamlet, which was formed into an ecclesiastical parish August 30, 1864, from the civil parish of Paignton; it is on the road from Paignton to Totnes, 1½ miles west from Paignton station on the Dartmouth branch of the Great Western railway, 4 east from Totnes and about 5 south-west from Torquay, in the Torquay division of the county, Haytor hundred, petty sessional division of Paignton, county court district of Totnes, rural deanery of Ipplepen, archdeaconry of Totnes and diocese of Exeter. The church of St Mary the Virgin, built 1864-6, and consecrated March 24, 1866, is an edifice of red sandstone, with Bath stone dressings, in the Early Decorated style, from designs by J.W Rowell esq of Newton Abbot, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a tower at the south-western angle of the nave containing a clock and five bells: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. J. R. Hogg, and was erected by his widow: the reredos of Caen stone, executed after designs by J. Bentley esq. represents the Last Supper: there is s bronze tablet containing the names of the seven men of the parish who fell in the Great War 1914-18; it was erected in 1920 by public subscription: there are 160 sittings. The churchyard is entered by a lych-gate, erected at the cost of William Gibbs esq. The register dates from the year 1864. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 305 pounds, with residence, in the gift of trustees and held since 1933 by the Rev. William Robert Dunstan Mills B.A. of Durham University. A parish room was erected in 1912 on land presented by W.M Singer esq. J. P: it contains a billiard room and a concert hall to seat 180 persons. In the village is a drinking fountain erected as a memorial to Percy Whitehead, of Barton Pines, Collaton (died February 13th, 1897). The area is 2,321 acres; the population in 1931 was 611.

Yalberton hamlet is 2 miles south-west.
Blagdon hamlet is 2½ miles west from Paignton

Post & Telephone Call Office. Letters through Paignton, the nearest M.O & T. office

Conveyance
The National Western omnibus runs from Paignton to Totnes calling at Collaton Church about every half-hour

Collaton

Private Residents

Benson Edgar, Dunstone
Huntley Wm. Hugh, Little Sutton
Mills Rev. William Robert Dunston B.A (vicar), The Vicarage
Trounce William H. T, Collaton Way

Commercial

Allday Rt. Chas., motor service station
Barnes & Benson, tomato growers
Booth Hy., café
Came Jn. S, farmer
Collaton Garage (Bertram Weeks propr), Paignton 57303
Collaton Men's Club (Rev W.R.D Mills B.A hon sec)
Collaton way Guest House (Wm. H Trounce proptr) Paignton 5565
Coombes Quarries Ltd. quarry owners
Hillier Hy., shopkeeper
Pope J. & Sons, blacksmiths, Post Office
Ridgway J. & Co. Clayland brickworks. Paignton 5358
Robinson Thos. Rd., motor garage
Rollins Geo. holiday camp propr., Ayreville
Rosling Geo. M, poultry farmer, Claylands. Paignton 5516
Swain Herbt. Jas. Parker's Arms
Tucker Thos. Hy. farmer, Little Blagdon
Webber & Stedham, brick & tile mkrs. Paignton 5463
Wright F. (Mrs), boarding ho.

Blagdon

Private Residents

Leslie Commdr. Arthur Gordon R.N (ret), the Barn
Mudge William, Lower Blagdon
Robson, Charles Thomas Young, Stonehill
Whitley William, Barton Pines

Commercial

Marked thus* farm 150 acres or over Howell Frederick Perry, farm bailiff to W. Whitley esq
*Lee Wilfred, farmer, Blagdon Barton
Windsor John Thomas, farmer

Yalberton

Hunt Percy, farmer, Higher Yalberton
Maddock Edwd., farmer, Lower Yalberton
Mortimer, Alfred John, farmer, Higher Yalberton

Brian Randell, 8 Jan 2009.