"PAYHEMBURY, or PEYHEMBURY, is a pleasant village, on a declivity, near a small rivulet, 5½ miles W. of Honiton, and 13 miles N.E. of Exeter. Its parish contains 545 souls, and 2698A. 3R. 25P. of land, rising boldly on the north-west, and including the hamlets of Cheriton, Tale, and Upton, and many scattered farm-houses, "c. On a lofty eminence is a large treble entrenchment, called Hembury Fort, . . . The manor of Payhembury, or Peahembury, belonged to the Giffords in the reign of Henry III., and afterwards passed to the Stanton, Crewkerne, Prous, and other families. It now belongs to John Venn, Esq., who also owns part of Upton and Prudholme. Sir John Kennaway, Bart., is owner of the manors of Coxpit, Morden, and Tale, the latter of which was formerly held by Ford Abbey. Leyhill and Long Rewe estates belong to E.S. Drewe, Esq., and the old farm-house, on the former, was long a seat of the Willoughby and Trevelyan families. . . . The Church (St. Mary,) is a handsome Gothic structure, with an embattled tower and six bells. . . . The vicarage . . . is in the patronage of Mrs. G. Messiter and Mrs. H.J. Tooze, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Nicholls, M.A. of Rockbeare. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hayridge Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.