ST. PETER TAVY
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"ST. PETER TAVY, (or Tavy St. Peter), a parish chiefly in the hundred of Roborough, but partly in that of Lifton, county Devon, 3 miles N.E. of Tavistock, and 17 N. of Plymouth. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Tavy, and near the high road from Plymouth to Okehampton. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter, value £250, with 64 acres of glebe, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure, with a square embattled and pinnacled tower containing five bells. The church contains a monument to Pocock, a former rector. There are girls' and infant schools, also a place of worship for the Wesleyans. The Duke of Bedford is lord of the manor and principal landowner. There was formerly a chantry chapel at Wilsworthy, which has been converted into a barn.
"WILLSWORTHY, a hamlet in the parish of St. Peter Tavy, county Devon, 6 miles N. of Tavistock, on the river Tamar."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003