"MARLAND, (PETER'S) or Petermarland, 4 miles S. by W. of Great Torrington, is a village and parish, containing 351 souls, and 2200 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Rev. J.M. Stevens, M.A., archdeacon of Exeter, and partly to G. Oldham, Esq., the latter of whom owns the small manor of Twigbear. Winscott House has been long the seat of the Stevens family, and is now the residence of the Archdeacon's son. The Church (St. Peter,) is a small antique structure, and the benefice is a perpetual curacy, worth only about £60 a year." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Shebbear Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.
Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1841, 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish]