"PETROCKSTOW, or Stow St. Petrock, is a pleasant village and parish, 4 miles N.N.W. of Hatherleigh, containing 616 souls, and 4030 acres of land, including 210A. of woodland, 1360A. of open moor, and the deer park of Heanton Sackville, (136A.) where the ancient mansion was burnt down many years ago, as noticed at page 768, where it will be seen that the present handsome mansion, called Heanton House, stands in the adjoining parish of Huish, and is the seat of Lord Clinton, the lord of the manors, and owner of most of the soil of both parishes. The old house was for some time a seat of the Rolles, and afterwards of the Earls of Orford. Merland belongs to Mr. John Bonifant, and formerly belonged to the Zouch and Fitzwarren families. The Church is an ancient fabric, with a beautiful stained glass window, and a much admired Norman font. It has several monuments belonging to the Rolle and other families." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Shebbear Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.