"PETROCKSTOW, a parish in the hundred of Shebbear, county Devon, 4 miles N.W. of Hatherleigh, its post town, and 14 W. of Eggesford railway station. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the Hatherleigh and Torrington road. The soil consists of dun, upon a subsoil of clay. At Berrymoor is a saline spring, used for medicinal purposes. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £271, and the glebe comprises 49 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £266, The church, dedicated to St. Petrock, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains monuments of the Rolle family. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, erected at the expense of Lord Clinton in 1842. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians have each a place of worship. Lord Clinton is lord of the manor and principal landowner."