Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Petrockstowe 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

PETROCKSTOWE

From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

PETROCKSTOW, or Stow St. Petrock, is a pleasant village and parish, 4 miles N.N.W. of Hatherleigh, containing 616 souls, and 4030 acres of land, including 210A. of woodland, 1360A. of open moor, and the deer park of Heanton Sackville, (136A.) where the ancient mansion was burnt down many years ago, as noticed at page 768, where it will be seen that the present handsome mansion, called Heanton House, stands in the adjoining parish of Huish, and is the seat of Lord Clinton, the lord of the manors, and owner of most of the soil of both parishes. The old house was for some time a seat of the Rolles, and afterwards of the Earls of Orford. Merland belongs to Mr. John Bonifant, and formerly belonged to the Zouch and Fitzwarren families. The Church is an ancient fabric, with a beautiful stained glass window, and a much admired Norman font. It has several monuments belonging to the Rolle and other families. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £17. 0s. 2½d., and in 1831 at £285, is in the patronage of Lord Clinton, and incumbency of the Rev. Louis Woollcombe, M.A., who has a good residence, and 49A. of glebe. The tithes have been commuted for £271 per annum. The Parish School was built by Lord Clinton, in 1844, at the cost of about £700. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians have chapels here, and the poor have £2 a year, left by several donors.

Adams Rd. tanner (& Torrington)
Bonifant John, gent. Merland
Gill James, carpenter
Moon Wm. gamekeeper
Smale James, shopkeeper
Trace Wm. vict., White Hart, (post)
Woollcombe Rev Louis, Rectory

BLACKSMITHS.

Bird Samuel
Luxton John

BOOT & SHOE MKS.

Bissett George
Lyon Thomas
Trace Wm.

FARMERS.

Ash George
Bissett Richard
Clay John
Dart John
Doble Henry
Freeman John
Freeman Samuel
Freeman Wm.
Hopper John
Madge Philip
Palmer Richard
Piper Wm.
Risdon Joseph
Saunders Robert
Squire Mary
Taunton Thos.
Taunton Wm.
Vivian James
Weare Robert
Williams Edw.
Williams Richd.

WHEELWRIGHTS.

Hawking George
Seldon Wm.
Tucker Pp.

Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999