Billings' Directory 1857
Provided by Michael Wright
Petrockstow is a village and parish, about 4 miles N.N.W. from Hatherleigh, and about 14 miles W. from the Eggisford Station of the North Devon Railway; the parish contains 4,000 acres of land, including 1360 of open moor, and the deer park of Heanton Sachville, 136 acres, where the ancient mansion was burnt down, as noticed in the parish of Huish; the population in 1851 was 574, being a decrease since the previous census of 42, which decrease is ascribed to emigration, arising from the difficulty in obtaining employment; Hatherleigh is the polling-place, and the number of voters in 1857 was 1
Petrockstow or Patrickstow, in short Padstow, formerly belonged to the Abbey of Buckfastleigh; the manor is now the property of Lord Clinton,
The church is an ancient fabric, with square tower, containing five bells; it has nave, chancel, north and south aisles; it also has a beautiful stained glass window, and several handsome monuments to the Rolle and other families. The living is a rectory. Rev. Louis Woolcombe, M.A., Rector; Mr. John Luxton, clerk, who has held the office for sixty-five years.
The WESLEYANS and BIBLE CHRISTIANS have chapels here, supplied by Circuit Preachers.
The PARISH SCHOOL was built by lord Clinton in 1842, at a cost of £700. Number of children 20. Ann Bisset, Mistress.
The Poor have £2 per annum , left by various donors
|Cann Mr. Stephen, Pose Cottage||Mills Wiliam, farmer, Hall Barton|
|Woolcombe Rev. Louis M.A. Rector, Rectory||Palmer Richard, farmer Zeal|
|Adams Richard, tanner||Thomas Rockhey, farmer, Ash|
|Bird Sammuel, blacksmith||Saunders Robert, farmer, South Hill|
|Bond William, farmer, Thorne||Seldom William, mason|
|Bonifant John, farmer, Little Marland||Selevant Joshua, Wheelwright|
|Brook Arthur, farmer, Westacott||Shute William, victualler, White Hart|
|Darke John, farmer, Buttstone||Small James, farmer, mason, and shopkeeper,|
|Darke William, farmer, Nethertown and Chilsdon||North Town|
|Daw Samuel, mason||Smail Mary, farmer, Rose Cottage|
|Dicker John, thatcher||Stapledon Philip, farmer, Denford's|
|Falconer William, farmer, Heale||Straton John, farmer, Brightmanshay|
|Freeman William, farmer, Foxhill||Summerhayes Richard, farmer, Town Farm|
|Gill James, carpenter||Tanton William, farmer, Hook|
|Hooper Thomas, farmer, Heanton Barton||William Trace, shoe maker and Sub-Postmaster|
|Langdon John Brown, farmer, Hallwood||Tucker Philip, wheelwright|
|Luxton Hugh, carpenter||Visset George, shoe maker, North Town|
|Luxton J., blacksmith and Parish Clerk, North Town||Vivian James, farmer, Berry|
|Lane Thomas, shoe maker||Wadland Henry, farmer, Hasland|
|Mills George, tailor||Williams Richard, farmer, Martin's Tenement|
|Mills John, tailor|
POST OFFICE.--William Trace, Sub-Master. Arrival, 11 a.m.; despatch, 3 p.m.
Nearest Money Order Office, Hatherleigh.
Brian Randell, 31 Aug 2002