[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"PILTON, a parish and town in the hundred of Braunton, county Devon. It is connected with Barnstaple, its post town, by a bridge over the river Taw 800 feet in length, and by a causeway leading to the village, which is still very considerable, and was formerly a market town, under a charter obtained in 1345. A part of the parish, including the hamlet of Bradiford, is situated within the parliamentary borough of Barnstaple. It had formerly a priory cell to Malmesbury Abbey, founded by King Athelstane, and valued at the Dissolution at £56 12s. 8d., also a hospital, established in the 12th century for a prior and brother, and which is still in existence. The woollen trade and lace manufacture are carried on to a small extent. The parish is intersected by the road from Barnstaple to Ilfracombe, and has river navigation to Bideford Bar. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Exeter, value £105. The church is dedicated to St. Margaret. The interior contains a stone pulpit, screen, and several monuments. The parochial charities produce about £99 per annum, of which £12 goes to St. Margaret's Hospital. There are a National school supported by subscription, and several endowed almshouses. The market and fair have been discontinued."