"PINHOE, a parish in the hundred of Wonford, county Devon, 2½ miles N.E. of Exeter, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the road from Exeter to Bristol, and is chiefly agricultural. It was burnt by the Danes in 1001, after their victory over Ethelred. There is a prospect from Beacon Hill, on the summit of which are several residences. The soil consists for the most part of clay intermixed with sand. The rectorial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £235, and the vicarial for one of £265. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £227, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone structure, with an embattled tower containing four bells. The interior of the church contains a carved pulpit and oak screen. In the churchyard is a large cross, resting on a pedestal. The parochial charities produce about £42 per annum. Bishop Conybeare was a native of this parish. Lord Poltimore is lord of the manor."