Plympton St Maurice
Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Prepared by Michael Steer
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
PLYMPTON. St. Maurice. The church is dedicated to St. Thomas of Canterbury, but is more commonly known as St. Maurice from the chantry founded by John Brackley in the 14th century. The building, for the most part Perpendicular, was erected in 1440 and consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, and embattled west tower with eight bells. The granite base of the old pulpit remains against the first column of the south aisle arcade.
The rood screen is modern [plate 185], with portions of the old screen incorporated. It is complete with groining, cornices, and doors; but presents a curious appearance, having been made too long for the church, the northern portion has been turned at an angle to make it fit.
On the wall of the north aisle is a tablet to the memory of Sir Joshua Reynolds [1723-1792], who lived in the parish, and whose father was master of the old Grammar School.
The registers date from 1616.