[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"POLTIMORE, a parish in the hundred of Wonford, county Devon, 5 miles N.E. of Exeter, its post town, and 4 from the Hill railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Clist, a branch of the Esk, and on the Exeter turnpike road. The parish includes the hamlet of Ratsloe. The surface is level, and in some parts subject to inundation. The soil is clay and sand. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. There are mines of manganese. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £297, and the glebe comprises 65 acres. The living is a rectory* annexed to that of Huxham, in the diocese of Exeter, value £589. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient cruciform structure, with a tower containing six bells. The church was restored in 1830. It contains a carved oak screen, and monuments of the Bampfyldes, by whom the church was built in 1390. The parochial charities produce about £24 per annum, of which £19 goes to Bampfylde's almshouses. There is a school for both sexes, supported at the expense of Lady Poltimore. Poltimore House is the seat of Lord Poltimore, who is lord of the manor and principal landowner, and who takes hence the title of baron. A pleasure fair is held in September."
"RATSLOE, a hamlet in the parish of Poltimore, county Devon, 3 miles N.E. of Exeter."