"POUGHILL, a parish in the hundred of West Budleigh, county Devon, 8 miles S.W. of Tiverton, its post town, and 6 N.E. of the Crediton railway station on the North Devon line. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The surface is undulating and the land chiefly arable. The soil consists of loam and clay, with a subsoil of the latter, covering a red sandstone used for building. In some parts of the parish it is very fertile, but in others poor and thin. There was formerly a chantry chapel, dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The living, is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £221. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower containing five bells. The parochial charities produce about £16 per annum. There is a school for both sexes endowed with a £5 annuity from Gertrude Pyncombe's charity, bequeathed in 1730."