"RACKENFORD, an ancient village on the high road, 8 miles W.N.W. of Tiverton, and 18 miles E.S.E. of South Molton, is described as a borough in some old records,. . . The parish had 562 inhabitants, on July 1st, 1841, but 59 of them were visitors at the annual feast. It contains 3933A. 2R. 37P. of land, rising in bold hills near the sources of the Little Dart river, and comprising many scattered houses. Chas. Devon, Esq., is lord of the manor, for which a court leet and baron is held yearly by Mark Kennaway, Esq., the steward. The former resides at the old manor house, called Cruwyshaye, formerly a seat of the Sydenham and Cruwys families. J.G. Pearse and Wm. Hole, Esqrs., and Messrs. Thos. Ayre, M. Thomas, W. Cockram, Robert Tanner, and several smaller freeholders have estates in the parish. There is a common of about 30 acres, in which is a never failing spring of pure water. The Church (Holy Trinity,) is a small antique fabric, with a tower and five bells, and a finely sculptured font. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £19. 17s. 1½d., and in 1831 at £335, is in the patronage of Thomas Comyns, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Wm. Comyns, M.A., who has a good residence and 54A. 31P. of glebe. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Witheridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Barnstaple, and the Diocese of Exeter.