[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"RATTERY, a parish and township in the hundred of Stanborough, county Devon, 4½ miles N.W. of Totnes, its post town. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The land is fertile, and well cultivated. Lady Carew owns the greater part of the parish. A vein of lead ore has been discovered, but is not worked. The rectorial tithes, which belong to Lady Carew, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £189 9s., and the vicarial for one of £200. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £240. The church is an ancient structure with a tower surmounted by a spire, and containing four bells. It has been recently repaired at the expense of Lady Carew. The interior contains specimens of ancient stained glass, a wooden screen, and a Norman font. The charities produce about £15 per annum, besides an almshouse for six poor persons, and a small bequest for the repairs of the church. There is a village school, partly supported by Lady Carew. The, principal residence is Morley House."