Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.
RATTERY, or Rattrey, a small village on an eminence, four miles W. by N. of Totnes, has in its parish 485 souls, and 2823A. 3R. 23P. of land. Marley House, a large and handsome stuccoed mansion, with a fine lawn, is the residence of the Dowager Lady Carew, who is daughter and heiress of the late Walter Palk, Esq., and carried the manor of Rattery and other estates to the late Sir Henry Carew, Bart. Her eldest son Sir W. P. Carew, is now lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to R. Brown, Esq., and a few smaller owners. The Church is an ancient structure, with a tower, containing four bells, and crowned by a small spire. It has been repaired by Lady Carew, and has now a handsome appearance. Some of its windows have lately been decorated with stained glass. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £14. 10s., and in 1831 at £240, is in the patronage of Sir. W. P. Carew, and incumbency of the Rev. R. P. Carew, who has a good residence and 60A. 3R. 5P. of glebe. The tithes have been commuted, the vicarial for £200, and the rectorial for £189. 9s. The latter belong to Lady Carew. There are two houses, a garden, and a field, vested for the repairs of the church; and a small Almshouse for six poor people. The poor have £3 a year, left by Dorothy Savery and Thomas Gould.
Carew Lady, & Hy. Esq. Marley Hs
Carew Rev Robert Palk, Vicarage
Chaffe Chpr. & Parnell Wm. smiths
Coaker Wm. carpr. & vict. Church Hs
Hatch Jno. & Jackson Pp. carpenters
Luscombe Thomas, shoemaker
Palmer Henry, shopkeeper & mason
Willsford John, shopkeeper & tailor
FARMERS. (* are owners.)
Easterbrook James Marley,
Gidley Mgt. & Jno.
Grant Robert, Allercombe
Hannaford John, jun.
* Luscombe Philip, Torne
* Maddock Wm. Felwell
Metherell Edward (and miller)
Symons Chas. & Jph.
Tozer John, Willing
White Jeffery, Luscombe