Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Prepared by Michael Steer
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
RATTERY. St. Mary. The church is an ancient edifice in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north porch, and an embattled west tower with spire containing four bells, all dating from 1763.
There is an oak rood screen with some very fine carving [plate 192], it has been partially restored in recent years, the church was restored about 35 years since [ca. 1875].
The font is Norman, of the type which is common in the neighbourhood.
The registers date from 1653.