Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Rewe 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.


From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

REWE, a straggling village, on an eminence 5 miles N.N.E. of Exeter, has in its parish 301 souls, and 1310 acres of land, including UP EXE tything, which is in Exe valley, and in Hayridge Hundred, nearly two miles from the church, and contains 120 souls, and 36 acres. The parish is crossed by the Bristol and Exeter Railway. Before the reign of Edward III., the manor of Rew, or Rewe, was held successively by the Villiers, Sachville, Causebeuf, Blakeford, Picot, and Tantifer families. It was afterwards held by the Chiseldons and Wadhams. The present lords of the manor are, the Earl of Illchester and the Trustees of the late Earl of Egremont, the former having five, and the latter seven shares. They are patrons of the rectory in the same proportion; but part of the parish belongs to Sir T.D. Acland and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Mary,) is a venerable structure, with a tower and five bells. It has a north transept and a curious old screen. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £22. 4s. 2d., and in 1838 at £429, is enjoyed by the Rev. Henry Fox Strangways, M.A., who is also rector of West Grinstead, near Salisbury, and has here a handsome Rectory House, built in 1844, at the cost of £2500. The glebe is 48 acres, and the tithes were commuted in 1837 for £348 per annum. The poor have two yearly rent-charges of 20s. each, left by Emanuel and Nicholas Warren, in 1696 and 1700, out of Pale and Millhayes estates. They have also the interest of £50, left by Joseph Steere, in 1792.

Bishop Wm. rope and twine maker
Clatworthy Benjamin, mason &c.
Frost Thomas, farmer
Lipscombe John, shopkeeper
Littlejohn George, blacksmith
May R. farmer
Pester Rd. carenter
Strangways Rev Hy Fox, M.A., rector of Rewe and West Grinstead, Rectory
Ware George, farmer
Whidden Henry, parish clerk
Whipple Wm. farmer
White Joseph, grocer, Post-Office

Brian Randell, 3 Jul 1998