[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"ROCKBEARE, a parish in the hundred of East Budleigh, county Devon, 6½ miles N.E. of Exeter, its post town, and 5½ W. of Ottery St. Mary. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the high road from Honiton to Exeter, and is wholly agricultural. The parish comprises the hamlets of Marsh Green, Pithead, Allicombe, and Little Silver. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, with about 200 acres of common. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Exeter, value £148, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, or St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a tower crowned with four pinnacles, and containing five bells. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. There is a village school of -recent erection, endowed with an annuity of £25 by Mrs. Bigwood. There is a place of worship for the Independents at Marsh Green. Rockbeare House and Rockbeare Court are the principal residences. T. Porter, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"RAWLEIGH, a tything in the parishes of Bicton and Rockbeare, hundred of East Budleigh, county Devon."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003