"ROOSDOWN, or Rousdown, [is] an extra parochial estate, of one house and 190 acres, belonging to R.C. Bartlett, Esq., the patron, and lying within the bounds of Axminster parish, adjoining the great landslip of Dowsland and Bindon. This depopulated place was anciently held by the Down family; and its chapel (St. Pancras,) has long been desecrated, and is now used as a lumber room to the farm-house. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Also known as Rousden, St Pancras and Down St Pancras. A very small parish in Axminster Hundred, the Archdeaconry and the Diocese of Exeter.
Charles Grover, the Rousdon star man, by Jerry Grover.
Dallas, J. The Rectors of St Pancras, Rousdon. Notes and Gleanings - Devon and Cornwall 2 (1889) pp.150-156.
Parish Registers going back to 1872 are held in the Devon Record Office.
Prior to 1872 registrations were at Axmouth, and perhaps Combpyne.
Rousdon churchwardens, by Jerry Grover.
Section on Rousdon from Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831), provided by Mel Lockie.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rousdon to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rousdon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Additional notes on Rousdon, by Graham Jones.
Jones, Roy. For Our Tomorrow, Rousdon Owners & Resident's Association, Rousdon DT7 3YL & Combpyne Parish Council (2014?) [Devon FHS Tree House Library].
Yallop, H.J. Rousdon: a Victorian Enterprise. Trans. Devon Assoc. 125 (1993) pp. 31- 48.
View a map of the boundaries of this town/parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SY293905 (Lat/Lon: 50.709817, -3.002671), Rousdon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Coxhead, J.R.W. (comp.) Allhallows School, register and record, 1852-1932. Windsor: Luff & Sons (1933) 157p, plates: ill.
Coxhead, J.R.W. The history of Allhallows School - 2nd ed. Rousdon: Old Honitonians Club (1972) 68p: ill [ISBN 0900316004]
Graham, Jones. Penny Dinners, Devon Family Historian, no. 100, (Nov 2001) p.20. [Rousdon School]
Allhallows School register 1856-1896. Honiton: John M.Tucker (1896) 54p, plates: ill.
Rousdon Mansion, former home of the Peek family 1787-1937, present home of Allhallows School: a brief guide (3rd ed.), (1990). [S0G Library - DE Tracts]