"SALCOMBE-REGIS is a small village, about two miles E.N.E. of Sidmouth, and 16 miles E. by S. of Exeter, picturesquely seated in the Sid valley, sheltered by boldly swelling hills, which terminate in the lofty red sandstone sea cliffs. Its parish is bounded on two sides by the sea and the river Sid, and contains 525 souls, 1909 acres of land, and several neat mansions, with tasteful grounds, commanding extensive views of the coast and the English Channel. It includes the small hamlet of Seed or Sid, and a number of scattered farm houses, &c. . . . The Rev. Geo. Jas. Cornish is now lord of the manor, but a great part of the soil belongs to C.J. Cornish, Esq., J.M. Wolcott, Esq., C.W. Smith, Esq., and several smaller owners. . . . The Church (St. Peter and St. Mary,) is a fine Norman structure, with a tower and three bells, but has undergone many repairs and alterations. There was anciently a chapel in the parish, dedicated to St. Clement and Mary Magdalen. The parish is in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, who are appropriators of the great tithes, and patrons of the vicarage . . . now enjoyed by the Rev. J.H. Cardew, B.D., of Curry-Mallett, Somersetshire, for whom the Rev. W.B. Doveton, M.A., officiates. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in East Budleigh Hundred, under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter.