A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
SAMPFORD-COURTENAY, a parish in the hundred of BLACK TORRINGTON, county of DEVON, 5¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Oakhampton, containing 1017 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £47. 12. 1., and in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of King's College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. At Sticklepath, which in the time of Henry V. was a separate parish, is a chapel, wherein service is occasionally performed. Near it a mine of copper was opened a few years ago, but with so little success that it is now closed. It was here that a serious commotion, owing to the alteration in the church service, broke out in 1549. At Brightley, in this parish, a monastery of Cistercians was founded, in 1136, by Richard Fitz-Baldwin de Brioniis, Baron of Oakhampton, which was afterwards removed to Ford; but the ruins of a chapel, supposed to have belonged to it, are still remaining.