"SAMPFORD SPINEY parish, on the west side of Dartmoor, and in the valley of the small river Walkham, has 443 souls, and about 1800 acres of land. It includes part of the village of Horrabridge . . . and a number of scattered farm-houses, &c. The manor anciently belonged to the family of Spinet, or De Spineto, and afterwards to the Drakes, Bidgoods, and Hals. John Parlby, Esq., is now lord of the manor; but the Cornish, Cole, and other families, have estates here, mostly freehold. The Church has a tower and three bells, and the living is a perpetual curacy, valued at only £54, with that of Shaugh Prior annexed to it. The Dean and Canons of Windsor are appropriators of the tithes, and patrons of the living, now held by the Rev. S.W. Pearse, B.A., of Cadleigh. The tithes were commuted, in 1841, for £172. 10s. per ann." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Roborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter, 4¼ miles S.E. of Tavistock. Regarded as part of the Dartmoor area.