A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
SANDFORD, a parish in the hundred of CREDITON, county of DEVON, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Crediton, containing 1906 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Exeter, and in the patronage of the Governors of the Crediton Charity. The church, dedicated to St. Swithin, was formerly a chapel of ease to that of Crediton. Sir John Davie, Bart., in 1677, bequeathed a rent-charge of £16 for teaching and clothing twenty children; the Rev. Robert Ham, in 1730, gave £3 a year for the instruction often, and Mary Lock, in 1773, a similar sum for teaching six, poor children, all which charities are applied according to the directions of the donors.