From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
SATTERLEIGH is a small parish in the Mole Valley, 4 miles S.S.W. of South
Molton, containing only 61 souls, and 515 acres of land. Mrs. M.F. Byne, of
Exeter, is lady of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to Messrs. John
Baker and Joseph and James Thorne, and the Rev. James Gould. The latter is
patron of the rectory, valued in K.B. at £4. 0s. 7½d. and in 1831 at
£120. The Rev. W. Thorold, of Warkleigh, is the incumbent, and has here 30
acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for £70 per annum. The
Church (St. Peter,) is a small antique fabric, with a wooden belfry and
three bells. The FARMERS are John Baker, Barton; John Dennis, Thos.
Phillips, John Squire, and Wm. Squire. The latter is also a maltster.