Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Satterleigh - from Some Old Devon Churches (J. Stabb)

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.



Some Old Devon Churches

By J. Stabb

London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)

Page 199

Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters

Full text available at

Prepared by Michael Steer

Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.

SATTERLEIGH. St. Peter. The church [plate 199] consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and wooden bell turret at the west end with three bells. The altar is surrounded on three sides by railings, and against the wall on the north and south sides are seats for the communicants, with pegs over on which to hang their hats; there are also hat pegs on the north wall of the nave. Strictly speaking there is no chancel arch, the division between the chancel and nave is formed by a partition, reaching from the roof down to the level of the top of the windows, in front of this partition, on which are painted the Lord's Prayer and the Creed, the roof is panelled with oak with carved bosses. I think we have here another instance of the complete shutting off of the chancel, as at Parracombe and Molland. The old rood screen, of which there is now no trace, must have reached up to the bottom of the remaining partition.

There is an old carved pulpit with canopy, and a very good octagonal font with carved panels and shaft. On the north wall, within a decorated border, are painted two texts from the 95th Psalm; these texts on the walls of churches took the place of the old paintings of saints.

The registers date from 1574.