Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Seaton and Beer 1831

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Seaton and Beer

from

A Topographical Dictionary of England

by

 Samuel Lewis (1831)

Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)

SEATON, a parish in the hundred of COLYTON, county of DEVON, 2½ miles (S.) from Colyton, containing, with the chapelry of Beer, 1745 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £17. 0. 7½., and in the patronage of Lord Rolle. The church is dedicated to St. Gregory. There are places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists and Unitarians. Seaton is situated on the sea coast, and is supposed to have been the Moridunum of Antoninus, and a landing-place of the Danes. Leland speaks of it as having "a notable haven," and of the unsuccessful attempts of the inhabitants "to make a waul within the haven." In 1820, commissioners were appointed, under an act of parliament, to improve the harbour, and the lord of the manor was authorised to take dues. The town has been much improved of late years, and is now a well-frequented bathing-place; a pleasure fair is held on Whit-Tuesday. BEER, a chapelry in the parish of SEATON, hundred of COLYTON, county of DEVON, 3½ miles (S. S. W.) from Colyton, containing 1256 inhabitants. The Cove of Beer is highly favourable for fishing. In 1820, Lord Rolle obtained an act for constructing a pier and improving the harbour. Edward Colston bequeathed land, producing about £500 a year, for maintaining, clothing, and teaching one hundred poor boys of Idstock and Beer. Lady Rolle bequeathed £7000 three per cents, for charitable purposes, from which fund almshouses for twenty-five poor fishermen, and twenty infirm widows, and schools for the instruction of boys and girls, on Dr. Bell's plan, have been erected and endowed.

BEER, a chapelry in the parish of SEATON, hundred of COLYTON, county of DEVON, 3½ miles (S. S. W.) from Colyton, containing 1256 inhabitants. The Cove of Beer is highly favourable for fishing. In 1820, Lord Rolle obtained an act for constructing a pier and improving the harbour. Edward Colston bequeathed land, producing about £500 a year, for maintaining, clothing, and teaching one hundred poor boys of Idstock and Beer. Lady Rolle bequeathed £7000 three per cents, for charitable purposes, from which fund almshouses for twenty-five poor fishermen, and twenty infirm widows, and schools for the instruction of boys and girls, on Dr. Bell's plan, have been erected and endowed.