A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
SHAUGH, a parish in the hundred of PLYMPTON, county of DEVON, 6 miles (N.) from Earl's Plympton, containing 551 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Sampford-Spiney, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, endowed with £22. 10. per annum and £100 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £1800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The scenery in the immediate vicinity is of the most romantic description.