From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
SHEBBEAR, the village which gives name to this hundred is on the northern acclivity of the Torridge valley, 7½ miles W.N.W. of Hatherleigh, and has in its parish 1160 souls, and 5826 acres of land, including many scattered farms, and the hamlet of Cott. Lord Clinton is lord of the manor, but most of the soil belongs to the Rev. T. H. Kingdon, and the Hearn, Hayset, Reed, Walter, Stevens, Coham, and other families. The Church (St Lawrence,) is a small structure, with a tower and five bells, and was appropriated to Tor Abbey. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £11. 8s. 4d., and in 1831 at £285, with Sheepwash annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. P. D. Foulkes, B.A., who has a thatched residence, and 3A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1846, the vicarial for £288. 11s. 8d., and the rectorial for £216. The latter belong mostly to the freeholders, and the Heyset, Brent, and Braund families. The Baptists, Wesleyans, and Bible Christians have chapels here, and there is a National School in the parish. The Parish Lands, for repairing the church and relieving the poor, comprise about 100 acres, and 20 tenements, let for only about £30 a year, subject to fines. The poor have 23s. a year, left by Thomas Walter, and one Smallacombe.
Bale Mrs. Shebbear Grange
Besley Francis, surgeon
Edmunds John, parish clerk
Foulkes Rev Peter D., B.A. vicar
Herring Miss || Gressell Edward
Mills George, maltster
Thorne Samuel, printer
BOOT & SHOE MKS.
Parsons J. & R.
Brian Randell, 26 Aug 1999