A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
SHEEPSTOR, a parish in the hundred of ROBOROUGH, county of DEVON, 7 miles (S. E. by E.) from Tavistock, containing 129 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Bickleigh, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter. Sheepstor rock is one of the most remarkable granite heaps upon Dartmoor, and is a conspicuous object from Roborough down: at the foot of it is situated the village, on the little river Mew. At Ailsborough, in this parish, a lofty eminence on Dartmoor, are very extensive tin mines.