[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"SHERWILL, a parish in the hundred of Sherwill, county Devon, 4 miles N.E. of Barnstaple, its post town. The village is situated on a branch of the river Taw, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of a loamy nature upon a subsoil of rock. Stone is quarried for building purposes. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £545, and the glebe comprises 91 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Exeter, value £387. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient stone structure, with a square tower containing six bells. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. Youlston Park is the principal residence. Sir A. Chichester is lord of the manor."