"SILVERTON, a large village, pleasantly situated on the eastern acclivity of Exe valley, 7 miles N. by E. of Exeter, and 5½ miles S.W. of Collumpton, was anciently a market town, and has still two cattle fairs, on the first Thursdays in February and July. In 1837 nearly half its houses were destroyed by fire, and some of them have not yet been rebuilt. Its parish contains 1384 inhabitants, and 4714 acres of fertile land, extending eastward to the river Culm, and westward to the Exe; comprising many scattered farm-houses; and divided into four quarters, called Borough, Yalton, Monk-Culm, and North Quarter. . . . About a mile west of the village is SILVERTON PARK, where the late Earl of Egremont, who died in 1845, built a large and elegant mansion, in the florid and ornamental Grecian order of architecture. A great part of the parish belongs to the Rev. J. Scobell, the Rev. Dr. Troyte, Col. Glover, and many smaller freeholders. Combe Sackville was formerly held by the Reigny, Sachville, Browne, and other families; and Monk-Culm, was given by the Earl of Moreton to Montacute Priory. The Church (St. Mary,) is a large Gothic structure, with a tower and six bells. . . . The rectory . . . is in the patronage of the Earl of Ilchester and the trustees of the late Earl of Egremont, and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Tripp, D.D., . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Hayridge Hundred, and the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.