Hide

hide
Hide

SOURTON

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]

"SOURTON, a parish in the hundred of Lifton, county Devon, 4½ miles S.W. of Okehampton, its post town. The village, which is irregularly built, is situated near Dartmoor Forest, on the road from Okehampton to Tavistock. The parish comprises Sourton Quarry, Lake, Southerleigh, and 5 other hamlets; also a large tract of common formerly belonging to Dartmoor. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Bridestow, in the diocese of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas-a-Becket, has a tower containing five bells. There is a Wesleyan chapel."

"COLLAVEN, a hamlet in the parish of Sourton, in the county of Devon, 4 miles S.W. of Okehampton."

"DIGGAPORT, a hamlet in the parish of Sourton, in the county of Devon, 4 miles S.W. of Oakhampton."

"FORDA, a hamlet in the parish of Sourton, county Devon, 5 miles W. of Okehampton."

"HOUGHTON, a hamlet in the parish of Sourton, county Devon, 4 miles S.W. of Okehampton."

"LAKE, a hamlet in the parish of Sourton, county Devon, 4 miles S.W. of Okehampton."

"POOLE, a hamlet in the parish of Sourton, county Devon, 4 miles S.W. of Okehampton. It is situated under Dartmoor."

"SOUTHERLEIGH, a hamlet in the parish of Sourton, county Devon, 6 miles S.W. of Okehampton."

Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003