From White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

Transcribed by Neil Stanton

SOURTON, a small village, on the north-western verge of Dartmoor, near the sources of the river Lew, five miles S.W. of Okehampton, has in its parish 732 souls, and 5018A. of land, including a large portion of open moorland, and the small hamlets of Collaven, Lake, Southerleigh, and many scattered houses. J.G.. Newton, S. C. Hamlyn and J. M. Woollcombe, Esqrs., are lords of the manor, and owners of most of the soil, and the rest belongs to the Rev. J. Woollcombe, John Gill, John Ball, and a few smaller owners. The Church (St. Thomas a Beckett,) is a small antique structure with a tower and five fine toned bells, but the chancel was rebuilt in 1848, and has two stained glass windows. The curacy is annexed to Bridestow rectory, and the tithes were commuted in 1846, for £258 per annum.

Ball Wm. Shopkeeper
Crocker and Co. quarry owners
Dark Mary, vict., Seven Stars
Dark Wm.beer seller
Dawe John, quarry manager
Horn Richard, vict., New Inn
Rattenbury Hugh, shoemaker
Weeks Geo. & Baker Wm. smiths
Wordon Absalom, carpenters

Allen Edw. Combe
Afford Rd., Rt., & Thos. Southerleigh
Ball Richard
Bray John, Dowdon
Bray Thomas
Brook John
Brook Joseph
Coombe Hy. & Rt.
Crocker Robert
Gay John, Lake
Gloyne Matthew
Gloyne Richard
Heathman Wm.
Hill James, Lidon
Horn Martha
Horn Richard
Jackman Richard
Lisle James
Millman Richard.
Newcombe John
Nicholls James
Northcott James
Pellow Edward
Pellow Richard
Pellow Wm.
Rattenbury Hugh
Roberts Wm.
Squires Jonas
Vaudon Wm.
Watkins Emanuel


Brian Randell, 31 Aug 2003

Note: The information provided by GENUKI must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.