Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for South Brent 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

SOUTH BRENT

Transcribed from William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Devonshire 1850, by Terry Partridge.

BRENT, (SOUTH) a large irregularly built village, in the valley of the small river Avon, has a station on the South Devon Railway, five miles N.E. of Ivybridge, 6 miles W. of Totnes, and 7 miles S.S.W. of Ashburton. Its parish contains 1237 souls, and about 10,100 acres of land of which 6312 acres are cultivated, and the rest open common, &c., in the south-east angle of Dartmoor Forest, where the hills rise boldly from the valleys of the Avon and Erme. The parishe includes the small hamlets of Aish, Charford, Harbournford, Lutton, Wonton, Brent Mill, and many scattered farm-houses. South Brent was formerly a market town, and has still two annual fairs, on the last Tuesdays in April and September, the former called the lamb, and the latter the goose fair, but both are extensive marts for sheep, cattle, and horses, held "under the glove," a glove being suspended on a pole during the fairs. The manor belonged to Buckfastleigh Abbey, and was purchased by Sir Wm. Petre after the dissolution. Mr. John Elliott holds the manor of Lord Petre, but most of the land was sold in parcels many years ago, and now belongs to Sir W. P. Carew, Dr. Butter and many smaller owners. The Church (St. Patrick,) is a large ancient fabric, in the decorated style, with a low tower and six bells. The Rev. Nathnl. Cole, M.A., is appropriator of the great tithes, and patron and incumbent of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £29. 15s. 4½d., and in 1831 at £906. The glebe is 31A. 3R. 37P., and the tithes were commuted in 1839, for £975. 10s. per annum. The Vicarage House is a good residence near the church. The Independents and Weslyans have small chapels here, and on Brent hill are the ruins of an ancient building, supposed to have been a chapel. The Parish Lands, &c., comprise 64A. and five houses, which have been long vested for the relief of the poor, and are let for about £110 per annum. The poor have also 40s. a year, left by John Peter, in 1570. The Free School is endowed with about 4A. of land, left by John Wilcocks and Thomas Acland. To buy bibles for four poor children, the Rev. Robert Bradford left yearly rent charge of 20s., in 1800.

DIRECTORY

Marked 2, are at Charford; 3, Harbournford; 4, Lutton; 5, Aish; and 6, at Stidstone.

Bowden Wm. gent Weir Down
Cole Rev Nathnl., M.A. Vicarage
Daykin Thos. surgeon, & Mr. W. P. DeCarteret Jn. Duniere, gent. Kerswell
Elliott John. gent
Furneaux Wm. gent. Charfield Cross
Gubbins Rev - (Independent)
Hingston John, gent
Hodgetts Jph. gent
Horswell John, woolcomber
Hosking Sophia, schoolmistress
Kuper Capt. Augs. L., R.N. Rock
Lang John
6 Langworthy Mrs. Mary
Lee John, worsted spinner
Mowatt John, surgeon
Pearce Wm.
Stranger E.
Veale Richard, railway station mngr
Webber & Co. slate quarry owners
White Walter, saddler
Woodley Charles, Esq. Didworthy

PUBLIC HOUSES.

Anchor, Arthur Langworthy
Globe, Wm. Ward
London Inn, George Luscombe
Pack Horse, Wm. Davis
Royal Oak, Wm. Maunder

BLACKSMITHS.

Scobell Wm.
Widdicombe Wm.

BUTCHERS.

Codd John
Hingston Henry

CARPENTERS.

Dodd John
Heath Nicholas
Heath Richard
Veale Jarvis

FARMERS. (* are Owners.)

* Adams Mary
5 Andrews john
5 Bidlake Chpr.
4 Boon Stephen
3 Broadridge Cpn.
3 Broadridge Wm.
Brooking Phln.
Cole James
Cuming Robert
Earle Joseph
2 Ford Mrs
Fortescue Arthur
Furneaux Wm.
6 Goodman Hy.
2 Goodridge Jfy.
* Hamly Thos.
Hannaford Saml.
6 Hard Richard
* Heath Wm.
* Hext Quintin
Hext Thomas
3 Hoare Henry
Hosking John
6 Hosking Richd.
Hosking Wm.
* Jewell John
Jonas Rt. & Hy.
Jordan -
5* Kingswell Hy.
* Luce John
Luscombe John
Matthews Wm.
Mead Robert
* Nicholls Wm.
Pearce Robert
5 * Ryder J. C.
Sanders Jeffery
Savery John
Smerdon Richd.
Smerdon Elijah
Smerdon Thos.
5 Soper John K.
4 * Stranger John
4 Stranger Richd.
Wakeham John
3 Wakeham Jsa.
5 Wakeham Ths.

MASONS.

Ford Peter
5 Peathyjohns Rd.
Knott Thomas
Knott Wm.

MILLERS.

Cole Robert
Ellis Reuben
Heath Henry

PLUMBERS, &c.

Cranch John R.
Stidson Wm.

SHOEMAKERS.

Blight Philip
Blight Wm.
Eales John
Farleigh Richd.
Soper John
Veale Henry

SHOPKEEPERS.

Andrews Wm.
Bowyer Robt. (& basket maker)
Codd Wm. R.
Joynt Hercules
Wills Thomas
Symons Jno. schl

TAILORS.

Cole Solomon
Hurrell Wm.
Joynt Hercules
Toope Wm.

WHEELWRIGHTS

Clancy John
Cole Wm.

RAILWAY

Trains 6 times a day, to Exeter, Plymouth, &c

POST-OFFICE

at R. Mitchell's. Letters via Ivybridge

CARRIER

Edward Andrews, to Plym., Sat