[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"SOUTH MILTON, a parish in the hundred of Stanborough, county Devon, 3 miles S.W. of Kingsbridge, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated in a deep valley, and is wholly agricultural. The parish contains the hamlets of Sutton and Upton. The surface is hilly, but the soil fertile, and the lands principally arable. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Alvington West, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is a stone edifice, with a tower containing six bells. The parochial charities produce about £15 per annum. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Horsewell House is the principal residence. Mrs. Prideaux is lady of the manor.
"SUTTON, a hamlet in the parish and township of South Milton, county Devon, 3 miles S.W. of Kingsbridge."
"UPTON, a hamlet in the parish of South-Milton, county Devon, 2 miles S.W. of Kingsbridge."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003