John Morris [Obituary]
J. Brooking-Rowe (Ed.)
Trans. Devon. Assoc. vol. XXXVII, (1905), p. 35.
Prepared by Michael Steer
The obituary was read at the Association’s July 1905 Princetown meeting. The law firm of Ashurst Morris Crisp was founded in 1822, at 6 Old Jewry in the City of London, The three initial founders were William H. Ashurst, John Morris, and Sir Frank Crisp. Its lineal descendant Ashurst LLP is today a prominent multinational law firm headquartered in London. It has 27 offices in 15 countries apart from the United Kingdom, across Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East and North America, and employs around 1,600 legal advisers. Ashurst is 25th in the list of 100 largest law firms in the world by revenue, and 7th in the list of largest UK law firms by revenue. Mr Morris’ father (John Morris) built South Molton’s Old Post Office in 1810 for the sum of £1,350. More information is available at the South Molton Museum website. The obituary, from a copy of a rare and much sought-after journal can be downloaded from the Internet Archive. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.
Thomas Sanders. Thomas Sanders, a resident of South Molton for many years, was born 24th November, 1842. He came to the town as a young man as assistant to the late Mr. Furse, and in course of time became his partner and married his youngest daughter. He was M.R.C.S. in 1864, L.S.A. (University College Hospital) 1866, and F.R.C.S, by examination, in 1876. He became a member of the Association in 1894. He was coroner for the South Molton district, and medical officer of the union and workhouse. He was a clever medical man, sympathetic to his patients, and kind and considerate to the poor. He died 7th June, 1904, leaving a widow and several children to lament his loss.