A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
LEIGH (SOUTH), a parish in the hundred of COLYTON, county of DEVON, 2¼ miles (W. by S.) from Colyton, containing 327 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £11. 8. 9., and in the patronage of Charles Gorden, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. The Rev. James How, in 1816, gave £200 stock towards the support of a Sunday school, the dividends arising from which are applied to that purpose.