"SPREYTON is a village with several neat Houses, on a lofty eminence, about 8 miles E. by N. of Okehampton, and 17 miles W. by N. of Exeter. Its parish contains 3600 acres of land, and 404 inhabitants. The manor was held, for a long period, by the Talbots, whose heiress carried it in marriage to the Kelly family in the reign of Henry VI. It was sold to various freeholders during the last century, and now belongs to Messrs. W.H. Battishull, W.C. Cann, G.L. Gowin, Jno. Norris, Geo. Cann, the Rev. G. Hole, the Rev. R. Holland, and a few smaller owners. Fuidge House, the seat of J. Norris, Esq., is a neat cemented structure, and is pleasantly situated, as also is Barton, the seat of W. H. Battishull, Esq. The Church (St. Michael,) is a plain structure, with a handsome tower, containing five bells, and commanding extensive views in which 30 parish churches are seen." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Wonford Hundred, the Archdeaconry and Diocese of Exeter.