"ST. BUDEAUX, a pleasant village on an eminence, overlooking the broad estuary of the river Tamar, 4 miles N.W. of Plymouth, has in its parish 700 souls, and 2507 acres of land, including the hamlets, &c., of King's-Tamerton, Henicknowle, Whitleigh, Saltash Passage, Kinterbury, and part of Knacker's-knowleKnoll, the latter of which is partly in Egg-Buckland parish. A small part of the parish of St. Budeaux is in Cornwall. Lord Graves is lord of the manor, but a great part of the parish belongs to E.H. Gennys, T. Pollard, W.W. Chard, W.J. Clarke, and C.T. Trelawney, Esqrs.; Lord Ashburton, and several smaller owners; some of whom have neat houses here. The manor was anciently called Budockshed, . . . St. Budeaux church and churchyard, having been strongly fortified by the Royalists when blockading Plymouth, were taken by the Parliamentarians in January, 1646, when Major Stuckley, with 20 other officers, and above 100 men, were taken prisoners. The Church, dedicated to St. Budeaux or Budock, is a handsome structure, which was erected in the 8th of Elizabeth, by Roger Budockshed, partly with the materials of the original church, which was of great antiquity, and stood in an unhealthy situation near the Tamar estuary. . . [It is] in the patronage of the Vicar of St. Andrew's, Plymouth, and incumbency of the Rev. B.W.S. Vallack, B.A., . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Roborough Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes, and the Diocese of Exeter. Described by Peskett as follows: "A chapelry of Plymouth St Andrew ... part of the parish of St Stephen's-by-Saltash and county of Cornwall prior to transfer to the county of Devon in 1844, and parish of St Budeaux in 1895; Pennycross was usually served from this parish".