[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
"ST. BUDEAUX, a parish in the hundred of Roborough, in the county of Devon, but extending also into the East hundred, in the county of Cornwall, 4 miles to the N. of Plymouth, its post town. It is situated in a beautiful country, on the banks of the river Tamar, just below its confluence with the Tavy. The Tavistock branch of the South Devon railway passes a little to the eastward of this place. The village is nearly opposite to Saltash, where the Tamar is crossed by a ferry. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Exeter, value with that of Knackersknowle annexed, £130, in the gift of the Vicar of St. Andrew's, Plymouth. The church, which stands on a hill commanding a good view of the Tamar and the surrounding country, was founded by the Budocksheds, a family who long held the manor, and whose monuments, with several others, are in the church. Here is a free school for boys and girls, endowed in 1767 by Peter M. Docton, which has a revenue of about £90 per annum, for which 12 children of each sex are educated and clothed. A castle formerly stood here, the seat of the Budocksheds.
"AGATON, a small place in the parish of St. Budeaux, in the hundred of Roborough, in the county of Devon, 4 miles N. of Plymouth railway station, and 4 from Devonport. The soil is strong and loamy, and there is a lead mine in the vicinity."
"KNACKERS KNOWLE, a chapelry in the parish of St. Budeaux, hundred of Roborough, county Devon, 3 miles N.W. of Plymouth. It is situated near the Saltash Ferry, in the vale of the Tamar. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Exeter, held with that of St. Budeaux."Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003