A Topographical Dictionary of England
Samuel Lewis (1831)
Transcript copyright Mel Lockie (Sep 2016)
BUDEAUX, or BUDOCK (ST.), a parish in the hundred of ROBOROUGH, county of DEVON, 4¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Plymouth, containing 689 inhabitants. A small portion of the parish is in the county of Cornwall. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of St. Andrew, Plymouth, in the archdeaconry of Totness, and diocese of Exeter, endowed with £1400 parliamentary grant. The church stands pleasantly on a commanding eminence, and contains some interesting monuments. The village is romantically situated on the banks of the navigable river Tamar near the confluence of that river and the Tavy. A charity school has an endowment of about £86 per annum, arising from land purchased in 1770, for £710 of which £300 South Sea stock, and £100 Bank stock; were bequeathed by Peter Madock Docton, in 1767, in lieu of an annuity of £10, left by his father; and from some property in the funds: twelve boys and twelve girls are clothed and educated.