Some Old Devon Churches
By J. Stabb
London: Simpkin et al (1908-16)
Transcribed and edited by Dr Roger Peters
Full text available at
Between 1908 and 1916, John Stabb, an ecclesiologist and photographer who lived in Torquay, published three volumes of Some Old Devon Churches and one of Devon Church Antiquities. A projected second volume of the latter, regarded by Stabb himself as a complement to the former, did not materialize because of his untimely death on August 2nd 1917, aged 52. Collectively, Stabb's four volumes present descriptions of 261 Devon churches and their antiquities.
ST. BUDEAUX. St. Budeaux or St. Budock. This small church [plate 215a] dating from about 1563 is situated on the top of a hill from which there are very fine views of the surrounding country. It consists of nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, and west tower with six bells. There is strictly speaking no chancel, the altar being raised on two steps at the east end of the nave. The nave is the same length as the aisles and is separated from them by three arches on each side resting on granite pillars. The capital of the westernmost pier is different in pattern to the others, the upper portion having simple carving. The font, of granite, is small with a square top resting on an octagonal shaft. The principal objects of interest which the church contains will be found in the mural monuments, and an altar tomb at the east end of the north aisle [plate 215b]. The latter is composed of slate and has coats of arms on the front and sides. The slab has three coats of arms, and the back has a coat of arms in the centre and the following inscription:- Roger Budockshead of Budockshead Esquire ob: 1576
Sir William Gorges Kn: ob: 1583
Dame Winifred Gorges, ob: 1599
Tristram Gorges of Budockshead Esq: ob: 1607
Mrs. Elizabeth Gorges ob: 1607
Chiefly at the expense of the Historical Society
and Citizens of the state of Maine, U.S.A.,
in memory of Sir Ferdinando Gorges the first
Proprietor and Governor of that Province.
aided by some connections of the Gorges family
The monument is surmounted by a tablet with coat of arms.
On the north wall is a monument with the inscription:-
In memorie of John Fownes of
Whitley Esq: and of Mary his wife
Daughter of Henry Northleigh of Peamore
Esq: He dyed the 22nd day of Aprill
1670 ætatis 30, She dyed the 18th
day of Aprill 1669 ætatis 28
Also Elizabeth their daughter dyed
the 31 day of March 1669, Leavinge
survivinge children John. Henry
Katherine and Mary.
Another inscription on the north wall:-
Here lyeth buried the body of
Richard Trevill Esq. who died
August the 26. 1648.
Here lyeth buried the bodies of Richard
Trevill Esq. Nephew and Heire of the
aforesaid Richard, who died April the
4 1662 aged 51.
And also Mary his wife who died
the XXV day of February 1663 aged 57.
Here lyeth Buried the body of Richard
Trevill Esq. sonn of the said Richard
and Mary who died January the
XIX 1665 aged 19.
This monument was erected by William Trevill
of Buttshead Esq. in the year of our Lord 1667 to
Perpetuate ye memorie of his worshipfull Prede-
cessors and relations here buried.
Futher west is a tablet in memory of John Knighton and his wife Joanna, daughter of Thomas Were of Burrington; he died July 19th 1742, and she 43 years later. There is also a tablet in memory of Sir Thomas Byard, Knt., late of Mount Tamar of this parish; he was captain of H.M.S. Foudroyant, died at sea on October 30th 1798, and was interred in this church. On the south wall is a monument in memory of Lewis Stuckley of Plymouth, who died August 22nd 1693, and of Elizabeth his wife, who died February 16th 1700. Near the west door is the memorial of Mr. Charles Fortescue of Honiknoul, who died October 7th 1715, aged 77, and Dorothy his wife, who died June 16th 1705, and were both interred in the porch adjoining. There are several tablets on the walls of more recent date. There is a modern screen to the belfry. Over the south porch is a sundial with the inscription:- Ex hoc memento Pende Aeternitas.
The registers date: baptisms, 1538; marriages, 1539; burials, 1538.