[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)]
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003
"ST. GILES-IN-THE-WOOD, a parish in the hundred of Fremington, county Devon, 3 miles E. of Torrington. The Rolle canal connects this parish with Great Torrington and the port of Bideford. The land is chiefly arable, with a small extent of coppice and orchard. The villa which is considerable, is situated on the road from Bideford and Torrington to Exeter. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Exeter, value £100. The church, erected in 1675, contains a monument to Tristram Risdon, the antiquary. There is a parochial school. The charities produce £16 per annum, of which £5 belong to Lord Rolle's almshouses. Stevenstone, the ancient seat of Lord Rolle, was taken by Sir Thomas Fairfax during the civil wars.