ST GILES IN THE WOOD
White's Devonshire Directory of 1850
ST. GILES-IN-THE-WOOD, or Stow St. Giles, a pleasant village and parish, 3 miles E. by S. of Great Torrington, contains 915 souls, and 3330 acres of land, including the hamlets of Kingscot, High Bullen, and Healand. A great part of the parish is in the manor of Stevenstone, which belongs to the trustees of the late Lord Rolle, who resided occasionally at Stevenstone House, . . . Stevenstone is a fine old mansion, with a deer park, and is occasionally occupied by Lady Rolle. Sir S.H. Northcote is lord of the manor of Winscot, which was held by Risdon, the antiquary. Way belongs to J.H. Furse, Esq., and other parts of the parish belong to several smaller owners. The Church was built in 1309, as a chapel to Torrington. The benefice is now a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the incumbent of Great Torrington, and is now held by the Rev. John Francis, who has 50A. of glebe. The Dean and Chapter of Christ Church College, Oxford, are appropriators of the tithes. Here are four Almshouses, founded by Sir Henry Rolle, and endowed with £5 a year. The parish has several tenements for the poor, and two cottages for the clerk and school master. The poor have the interest of £200, given by various donors, and an annuity of 20s., left by Charles Beer.
Braginton Geo. Esq. steward to trustees of the late Lord Rolle, Rose Moor
Brinsmead Hy. & Thos. machine mkrs
Brinsmead Thos. brewer, altser, &c
Cock Wm. schoolmr. & parish clerk
Cock Thomas, shopkeeper
Francis Rev John, B.A. incumbent
Rolle Lady, Stevenstone House
Squire Francis, beer seller
Thorne Francis, vict. Red Lion
Ware John, corn miller
BOOT & SHOE MKS.Ashplant Thos.
Clark Jno. & Rd.
Rowe J. & L.
Squire F. & R.
Snell Wm. owner
Tanton T. & W.
Vodden T. & W.