"STAVERTON, is a small village at the south-eastern extremity of its large parish, on the south side of the river Dart, 3 miles N.N.W. of Totnes. Its parish comprises 1069 souls, and 5356A. 2R. 5P. of land, rising boldly from the Dart valley, and including the hamlets of Woolstone Green, Sparkwell, and Strechford, many scattered farm-houses, and about 700 acres of orchard grounds, celebrated for excellent cider. In the northern part of the parish, about two miles S. of Ashburton, are the Penn Recca Slate Quarries, which have been worked for centuries, . . . About 100 hands are now employed in getting the slate and preparing it for roofing purposes. . . . At Pridhamsleigh is a large and curious Limestone Cavern. The Dean and Chapter of Exeter are lords of the manor of Staverton, and owners of six-tenths of the parish. Mr. John Maye is lord of the small manor of Barkington; and Lord Cranstoun is owner of Pridhamsleigh. . . . The Church (St. George,) is a large venerable structure, with a tower and six bells. . . . The Rev. Wm. Martin is the incumbent, and has a neat residence and 3A. 31P. of glebe. . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Haytor Hundred, under the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The modern parish of Landscove was formed in 1851. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.
Pershouse, Stanley. Armorial shields on the screens in Staverton church co. Devon, described by Major Stanley Preshouse, with notes and pedigrees. Typescript (1926) 85p. ill. [Westcountry Studies Library - sx929.8/STA/PER]