Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Stockland - White 1850

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Stockland

from

White's Devonshire Directory of 1850

 

Transcribed by Sheila Jones

(E-mail: sheila.jones[at]liverpool.ac[dot]uk)

STOCKLAND is a large scattered village and parish on the bold range of hills between the Otter and Yarty valleys, about 6 miles N.E. of Honiton, N.W. of Axminster, and S.E. of Chard. It contains 1328 inhabitants, and 5850 acres of land, and with its adjoining parochial chapelry of Dalwood, formed a detached member of Dorsetshire till 1842, when it was added to Devon by act of Parliament. It has a cattle fair on the Wednesday after June 11th, and comprises many scattered farmhouses, &c. The Rev. H.W. Marker is lord of the manor; but W. Tucker, Esq., Robert Davy, Esq., Josiah Anstice, Esq., Thomas Culverwell, Esq., the Rev. Wm. Michell, and many smaller owners, have estates in the parish. The CHURCH (St. Michael,) is a fine antique fabric, with a tower and six bells. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £15, 13s. 11_d., and in 1835 at £457, with the curacy of Dalwood annexed to it, is in the patronage of about ten of the principal freeholders and inhabitants. There were originally 56 patrons, under a grant of the 3rd of Edward VI. The Rev. H.R. Surtees is the present vicar, and has a good residence and 1_A. of glebe. The vicarial tithes were commuted in 1844 for £450 per annum. The great tithes belong to the land owners, except those on 216A. 3R. 4P., which belong to about ten persons severally. The charity lands of the parish yield about £60 a year, part of which is applied in maintaining a Free School.

Beer Jno. shoemkr. and vict. King's Arms
Berry Mr Wm., Yew Cottage
Bowditch John, cooper
Bowyer Charles, saddler, &c.
Brooks J.L. Esq. Knoll House
Fry Thos. D. grocer & ironmonger
Kite George, conveyancer
Kite Mr Wm.
Loveridge John, blacksmith
Lee Edward, gent. Broadhayes
Marshall Rev Wm curate
Mattocks Samuel, schoolmaster
Newbery Wm. shoemaker
Newton Robert, blacksmith
Parsons Thomas, beerseller
Powis Dr., Welland Cottage
Surtees Rev Hy. Ratclyffe, vicar
Turner Jas. vict. Rising Sun
Virgint Thomas Apsey, tailor
FARMERS
(* are Owners)
*Bowditch Jas.
Collins Wm.
Dening Richd.
*Griffin Clement, Ford House
Hardy Nathl.
*Herne John
*Herne Samuel
Honniball John
Lane James
Long George
Long Richard
*Moore Wm.
Moore Wm. Jun.
Newbery Eliz.
*Newton Isaac
Newton Robert
Pavey J.C.
Pomeroy Nichls.
Pomeroy Wm.
Pym Wm.
Rockett John
Rockett Wm.
Spiller Robert
Summers Smn.
Summers Wm.
Trivett John
Trott Henry
Trott James
Trott John
Turner Job
Vincent Alfred
Vincent Benj.
Vincent Joseph
Virgint Henry
White James
White John
White Wm.

Brian Randell, 24 Aug 2002