"STOKE FLEMING is a pleasant modernised village, on a commanding acclivity, rising from the northern coast of Start Bay, 2½ miles S.S.W. of Dartmouth. Its parish contains 736 souls, and 3332 acres of land, mostly having a light fertile soil, resting on dunstone and slate. It includes the small hamlets of Ash, Buckford, Blackpool, and Emeridge, and several neat mansions, but Stoke House is now unoccupied. Sir H.P. Seale, Bt., is lord of the manor. Robt. Leach and John and H.N. Netherton have estates here, and Sir R.L. Newman and several smaller freeholders own part of the parish. The manor was part of the ancient inheritance of the Flemings, from whom it passed to the Mohuns, Carews, and Southcotes, the latter of whom sold it to the Seales about the close of last century. . . . The Church (St. Peter,) is an ancient fabric, in the early English style, with a lofty tower, containing six bells, which were recast in 1777. In the chancel are two fine brasses of the 14th century, and an ancient effigy. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £31. 6s. 0½d., and in 1831 at £725, is in the patronage of the Rev. W. Farwell, and incumbency of the Rev. A. Farwell, B.A., who has 71A. of glebe, and in 1834 erected the present large and handsome Rectory House, which has a well wooded lawn of seven acres. The Rev. Richd. Raynolds was ejected from the rectory in 1646, when upwards of 80 years old, but he survived the restoration, was re-possessed of the living, and died a few years afterwards, aged nearly 100. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Coleridge Hundred, the Archdeaconry of Totnes and the Diocese of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.