"STOKE-GABRIEL, 3½ miles S.E. of Totnes, is a neat village picturesquely scattered on the east bank of the estuary of the Dart, where a small creek projects about a mile eastward, and by being dammed up is made to turn the wheel of a tidal corn mill. Its parish contains 691 inhabitants, and 2595A. of land, fertile and well-wooded, and rising boldly from the Dart and the creek. It has several handsome mansions, and the small hamlets, &c., of Ash, Watton, and Portbridge. Henry Studdy, Esq., of Watton Court, a handsome mansion, is lord of the manor of Watton or Wadeton. Sandridge, a large and beautiful mansion, built by the late Lord Ashburton, is the property of Lord Cranstoun, but is now unoccupied. Sir R.L. Newman, Capt. Hodges, Mrs. Douglas, and several residents, have estates here, mostly freehold. The Dart and its creek abound in salmon. The Church (St. Gabriel,) is a fine antique structure, with a tower and five bells. . . . The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £16. 11s. 10½d., and in 1831 at £170, is in the alternate patronage of Sir S.H. Northcote, the Rev. F. Belfield, and the Executors of the late Rev. J. Templar; and in the incumbency of the Rev. Robt. Bowden, who has neither glebe nor parsonage. . . . " [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
A parish in Haytor Hundred, and a Peculiar of Bishop of Exeter. Regarded as part of the South Hams area.