Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Waddeton Court Chapel

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Transcript

of

Waddeton Court Chapel

Devon & Cornwall Notes and Queries vol. VII, (1912-1913), Exeter: James G. Commin. 1913, p. 73.

by

Oswald J Reichel

Prepared by Michael Steer

This Note relates to Edward Windeatt’s request for more information (Note 134, vol. 6) and refers to the private chapel of Waddeton Court on the site of a medieval chapel founded in 1213. Waddeton Court is the seat of the Studdy family. Henry Studdy was the founder of the Royal Dart Yacht Club in 1866 when it had club rooms in the Royal Dart Hotel q.v., until its own premises were built in 1881.The article, from a copy of a rare and much sought-after journal can be downloaded from the Internet Archive. Google has sponsored the digitisation of books from several libraries. These books, on which copyright has expired, are available for free educational and research use, both as individual books and as full collections to aid researchers.

Note 43. WADDETON COURT CHAPEL (Vol. VI., par. 134, p. 147.) - Mr. E. Windeatt states, on the strength of Col. Vivian's Visitation of Devon, that Martin Fisacre married Agnes Speke, "whose daughter Jone married John Holway, of Wadeton, temp. Edw. III." This statement seems a little puzzling if the dates are looked at. For Martin de Fisacre was in possession of Wadeton in 1243 [Testa de Nevil, 1263, p. 192b). In 1285 Giles de Fishacre had succeeded him and granted out the manor to Ralf de Dodescumb as tenant (Feud. Aids, 317). Giles was again in possession in 1303 {Feud. Aids, 348), and was succeeded by William de Fishacre, in whose time on 12 Nov., 1323, the examination of witnesses took place with a view to shewing that the owners of the estate had the right to receive the Sacraments in the Chapel of St. Michael of Wadetone (Grandison Reg., 1535). Then in 1346, Cecilia de Dodescumb was again tenant (Feud. Aids, 391), but in 1428 it seems to have escheated to the bishop, who then held "one fee in Allebourne and Wadeton, which his predecessors in title held from of old in free alms" (Feud. Aids, 444). The Holways, therefore, cannot have become possessed of it until after 1428. How and when did they acquire it?                          Oswald J Reichel